Paint CDs – Tips, Ideas, And How To!
Are you ready to try a new paint craft? Paint CDs! Yes, this fun and easy craft needs only a few craft supplies and CDs. This is an awesome teen craft but, also can be used as a kid’s craft or adult craft.
Looking for other crafts to make? See all our craft ideas.
The post content may contain affiliate links. By clicking on these links and then purchasing something through them we earn a small commission, at no added cost to you.
If you are like us you probably have old CDs lying inside a desk or drawer. But, if not you can grab them on Amazon, office supply stores, or look for them at yard sales. Why not upcycle them into art?! You will need acrylic paint, clear gesso, paintbrushes, water, and your imagination! Honestly, any skill level can do this painting craft.
Paint CDs For Your Dorm Room Wall
Before Sammie left for college she painted CDs to decorate her dorm room wall. If you are heading off to college and want an inexpensive way to add colors, designs, and CD aesthetic to your dorm walls. Use a stick and peel hangers like Command Strips to secure them to the dorm room walls. Just note: Always be sure of the dorm rules prior to hanging items on the walls.
If you are taking the CDs to college – When packing the CDs that have been painted to take to college. Store them carefully, use wax paper between the designs (after fully dried) stacking them carefully into a box. Wrapping the stack with something like bubble wrap. Keep the painted CDs out of the heat and sun!
Use Painting CDs as a Summer Craft or Rainy Day Craft!
If you have kids ages 6+, pre-teens, or teens who are looking for a fun project this is perfect for them too! And any adults will have fun with this too! I even made a few with them!
And when my granddaughters came to visit. One who is a teen and the other six years old they saw some of the CD art Sammie didn’t bring with her to college. They asked if they could paint CDs too. I said yes! This is an easy paint craft to set up and do. And this painting project entertained them for hours!
- Water in a water container or jar (for rinsing the paintbrushes)
- Paper towels (for spills and messes)
- A protective cover for your table – We use a thin wood board we picked up at the lumber yard. You can use a garbage bag opened up or a disposable picnic table cover.
Paint CD Ideas
- Ying Yang
- Peace Sign
- Smiley Face
- Palm Trees
- Cow Print
- Fruit – Oranges, Cherries, Strawberries…
- Check Patterns
- Flowers – daisies, roses, iris…
- Music Notes
- Piano Keys
- Retro Designs
- Galaxy Designs
How To Paint CDs
- First, make sure your CDs are clean and dry. (Our CDs Did not need any overlays removed. If your CD does and you need help see the CD video linked at (12:06) it shows the steps and how to remove!)
- Paint the CDs with a coat of clear gesso. This creates a nice base where the paint will grip and not slide on the surface, making it easier to paint the CD.
- If you don’t have clear gesso you can use gesso (that isn’t clear) But, your base coat will be opaque and not see-through for your designs.
- Let the gesso dry completely. While it’s drying you can decide what designs you would like to paint. (Pinterest has lots of ideas! But, I will list a few cd paint ideas below.)
- Paint your designs by looking at other’s designs, drawing out a design first with a pencil lightly, or just painting different colors into a design.
- When switching paint colors be sure to rinse your paintbrush until the paint bristles (and barrel) are fully clean.
- Squeeze out any excess water.
- Begin using your new color.
- Repeat the process until you have completed your painted CD!
- Optionally, you can use paint pens to write words, draw designs or make accents.
Should you seal the surface of the CD design after painting it?
If you want to seal the design. You can use a product like Mod Podge Sealer (in matte) or (in gloss) Or a spray sealer such as this DecorArt brand Acrylic Paint Sealer or one like this Krylon Acrylic Sealer. Both are my favorites!Master new painting skills and techniques on Craftsy
What to do make with CDs? What to make with painted CDs?
- Decorate a wall
- Decorate the wall of your dorm room with a CD wall collage
- Make a CD Wind Chime
- Glue felt to the back of the CDs and make CD coasters
- Cover a jewelry box
- Make a mosaic with them
- Make CD Curtains
- Ceiling decoration
- Pen Holder
- Sun Catcher
(source) for some of the ideas.
Looking for more ways to stay creative? Learn new crafts?
Get better at drawing or painting?
One of our favorite places for learning new arts and craft skills is at Creative Bug! They have crafts for kids, crafts for teens, and crafts for adults! See all the online classes they have and this special offer Get 3 months of Creative Bug for $5!
Have you ever tried this craft/easy DIY decor project? Tag us on Instagram or Twitter with your project! @DearCreatives Or share it on our Facebook fan page we’d love to see what you are making!
- New here? Don’t forget to subscribe
- Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Shop our picks; Lists on Amazon