Hipster Style. 25 Ways To Identify A Hipster
What is hipster culture? “Hipster style” is one of those phrases that kind of means whatever you want it to mean…
But think about it.
Your friends only say it to make fun of people. Maybe sometimes you.
So back to the question, what is a hipster? We found this definition:
“Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20s and 30s that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.”
Hipsters can take a variety of forms.
You may be comfortable being a hipster but you may also want to know if you are becoming a hipster.
Either way, we list the hipster style definitions below.
1. You have the same haircut as your girlfriend.
2. You Wear Those Hipster Glasses
You know. The hipster glasses. Whether you need them or not.
3. You exclusively drink out of mason jars and not normal cups.
One of the best ways to spot a hipster is by his drinking vessel. The hipster would NEVER drink from a normal cup.
4. You tell everyone you're gluten-free, and so is your cat Hugo
This is excusable if you have that thing where you could actually die if you're exposed to gluten. Everyone else, give it up – there's no benefit.
5. You won’t drink anything ‘mainstream’
The hipster doesn't do ‘mainstream'. Just homemade kombucha and weird orange craft beer brewed in an abandoned pump house off a railroad line through the mountains.
6. You say bro too many times, bro
You call your mom bro.
7. You think Kale is cooler than Spinach
You won't eat any dish where you can actually taste it, you just like the idea of growing it in silly little pots around your apartment.
8. You don't watch Movies, you only watch Films
Preferably silent, foreign, or black and white. Very emotional.
9. You pay $400 to wear jeans which someone has ripped holes in
For extra hipster fashion points: you pay $400 to buy raw denim jeans and then wear them continuously until they're “distressed”, so you can waste not only money, but also time.
10. You haven't eaten breakfast or lunch in two years. Brunch is where it's at.
You eat brunch at a French Bistro with paintings of Paris on the wall. You also tweet about it. Your favorite time to eat brunch is when it's raining outside because then you can pretend you're in a cafe scene in a French art film.
You're so deep, bro.
11. Your drawer doesn't contain a single pair of plain, normal socks
12. You eat avocado because you can smear it on toast and Instagram it
You don’t like avocado. Guess what? No one does. You do like sharing it with people you don't know on Instagram.
13. You wear jeans that are 16 sizes too small for you
Want to know how to dress like a hipster? It's easy. You need super skinny men's jeans: You can't even get them all the way over your butt.
You may as well save money and spray paint your legs blue.
Want to know how to dress like a hipster guy? Google ‘how to dress like a hipster girl'. You're welcome.
14. You like coffee but you only drink it from an underground alternative coffee shop
Take a moment to think about coffee. Do you think about caffeine? Or do you think about organic, ethically sourced coffee from an exotic location which costs $25 a cup.
If it's the latter, this is one of the first signs you're becoming a hipster.
15. You have an ironic long beard
You have spent many months growing your hipster beard. As soon as your beard got long enough, you stopped smiling forever. You practice your frown in the mirror and admire your beard.
You take great pleasure in buying the best beard oil.
16. You wear pre-faded fake vintage t-shirts
Faded t-shirts represent the best hipster style. They will NEVER have a brand name on them. But they may have hashtag phrases as long as they are ironic.
They often contain explicit words.
17. Your records don't contain any lyrics or any music
You once paid $30 for a track which sampled a lamb bleating repeatedly for 17 minutes.
18. You own a record player because ‘it sounds so much better on vinyl’
Said record player is a $40 portable model with worse speakers than your laptop.
19. You wear Doc Martens because Converse got too mainstream
Depending on how you wear them you either look like a student at a small women's college, or a skinhead.
20. You have a tiny little thin plaid scarf
It physically cannot keep you warm. It's so you can drape it loosely round your neck. You don't mind if you get farmers' market food-truck burrito on it.
21. You wear suspenders with jeans.
Often over a denim shirt. If you really know how to dress like a hipster, this is your favorite look.
22. Your house has wallpaper with bricks on it
23. Something you own has Che Guevara's face on it
If you majored in Latin American History, you'd maybe get a pass. But you didn't.
24. You like unpopular things and when they become popular, you unlike them
You're not sure whether you want to be liked or hated.
25. You own a Polaroid camera.
You use it to take hazy photos of urban art (which is what you call graffiti your landlord hasn't power washed yet) or photos of cornfields in the summer.
Bonus: You get offended when people call you a hipster
Do we hate hipsters? No. Of course not. But we do think it's important to know if you're becoming one. Share this article and let us know what you think in the comments section!
Click below to watch the video – 25 Signs You're A Hipster
The post Hipster Style. 25 Ways To Identify A Hipster appeared first on Real Men Real Style.