Monday, August 23, 2021 Fred Piscop
17A. *Hitchhiked: BUMMED A RIDE.
11D. *Something kept to avoid attention: LOW PROFILE.
29D. *Dressing with Buffalo wings: BLUE CHEESE.
5. __ Pujols, fourth MLBer to reach 6,000 total bases: ALBERT. Future Hall of Famer, we have sold a few of his cards on eBay.
11. Area for experiments: LAB. A black dog.
14. __ Raton, Fla.: BOCA. Seems as though every city in FLA is running rampant with Covid. SAD!.
15. Ballerina, at times: LEAPER. Quite a few were running hurdles in Tokyo.
16. Bullfight "Bravo!": OLE.
19. Take the gold: WIN. And a few took the Gold.
20. Took the wheel: STEERED. My first couple of cars did not have power steering. I don't know how I managed to drive!
21. Drained of energy: SAPPED. I do feel this way sometimes after my Monday Golf game. Not sure what it might be next week when bowling starts.
23. Firebug's crime: ARSON. Fires are burning everywhere. Dry weather is the firebug.
26. Changes direction: TURNS. Yup, that's when I wished I had power steering.
27. Create a raised logo on, say: EMBOSS.
31. "My pleasure": LOVE TO. Bowl and Golf.
33. Señor's squiggle: TILDE.
34. Said further: ADDED.
35. Put money in, as a parking meter: FED. I visited St. Paul's downtown area a couple of years ago and I had to feed the parking meter with a credit card!
38. Board game with nine rooms: CLUE. I think it was done by Professor Plum, with a Knife, in the Kitchen.
39. Picture within a picture: INSET.
40. Heap, as of wood: PILE. Not Gomer's last name. For that you need a "Y".
41. Weeding tool: HOE.
42. Judicial orders: WRITS. "Order in the court, Here comes the Judge." Number 99 Aaron of the Yankees.
43. Zesty dip for tortilla chips: SALSA.
44. Line in pressed pants: CREASE. I don't have any pants like that anymore. Funny how some things just fade away.
46. Movie theater feature: SCREEN.
47. Throbbed: ACHED. I have had one of these in my back recently. Can I still BOWL ??
49. CNN journalist Hill: ERICA.
51. Doctoral candidate's project: THESIS. Interesting, I have a bowling buddy Named Don Theis, We call him DOC because he was a gas passer at the UofM Hospital.
53. Beers served with lime: CORONAS.
58. Tell a tall tale: LIE. I never said that. I only tell short tales.
62. Classifieds, e.g.: ADS. We just don't see a lot of classified ADS in our paper anymore. Most people are using the internet to buy, sell, or trade.
63. Apple device featuring Siri: IPHONE. Hey Siri!
64. Italian wine region: ASTI.
65. Go out with: SEE.
66. Skimpy swimsuits: THONGS.
67. Wanton look: LEER.
2. Sports blowout: ROUT. Happened to the Vikings a week ago. They should have asked Siri how to get to the end zone.
3. Wile E. Coyote's supplier: ACME. Beep Beep, and fast bird or Plymouth.
4. "The __": "What she's having": SAME. Not me. C.C. and I seldom have the same food. That's why we go to buffets.
5. Trees with catkins: ALDERS.
6. Takes charge: LEADS.
7. Granola __: BAR. Do they serve beer there?
8. Prefix with dermis: EPI.
9. Wine list heading: REDS. Cincinnati baseball team, formerly known as Redlegs. They should have worn long pants at the beach.
10. Picked up the check: TREATED. I'll get it, you leave the tip.
12. Sci-fi visitor: ALIEN.
13. Gives a little: BENDS. What my Putts usually do. I wish the greens were level.
18. Clear of data, e.g.: ERASE. Maybe I should just ERASE my scorecard.
22. Erect, with "up": PUT. Add a "T". Do not count more than two on any hole.
24. Golden-ager: OLDSTER. Never been called that, I'll settle for Senior Citizen.
25. Network junctions: NODES.
27. Mark with acid: ETCH. Remember the ETCH - A - Sketch ?? You only need to turn it over and shake it to erase,
28. Venus de __: MILO.
30. Tribute in verse: ODE. I remember the one to Billy Joe. On the 3rd of June.
32. Dog doc: VET.
34. Biscotti flavoring: ANISE. Tastes like licorice to me.
36. "If all __ fails ... ": ELSE. If all ELSE fails, kick your ball out of the rough with your foot.
37. Faculty head: DEAN. Our District Congressman from Minnesota, DEAN Phillips. Made his money selling Vodka. Dear Abby's Grandson.
40. Four, for most golf holes: PAR. SIX! My score on most golf holes.
42. "Way to go, team!": WE DID IT. Twins did not care much for Yankee Stadium last weekend.
43. Winter neck warmer: SCARF.
45. Hi-__ audio: RES. What?? I cannot hear you over the noise.
46. Biscuits at teas: SCONES. I've had ice cream cones. Never had an S CONE.
47. Book with maps: ATLAS. No one needs these any longer. Just a cellphone.
48. Reprimand: CHIDE.
50. Cake topping: ICING. Now that you have completed Fred's puzzle, this blog is for ICING on the cake.
52. Many a jayvee player: SOPH.
54. Taken by mouth: ORAL. My breakfast, lunch and dinner are all ORAL.
55. Carrot, on a snowman: NOSE. Sometimes the winning margin in the Kentucky Derby.
56. Start the kitty: ANTE. It was always a nickel when I played.
57. Mix, as a liquid: STIR.
60. Abbott and Costello's first baseman: WHO. What ?? Where?? I don't know who the shortstop was.
Notes from C.C.: