Our Warm-Toned Winter Capsule Wardrobe In 18 Sustainable Staples
Our Minimalist Winter Wardrobe
This season, for many of us, is a somber one. We imagined we’d be back in our going-out clothes a bit more frequently by now, but our comfy pants are still bearing the brunt of our wears. Until we can return to normal (what even is that now?) we’re prioritizing outfits that are easy to wear and warm us in every sense of the word. Cue the knits, textures, and warm tones that go with everything.
So we’ve pulled together a winter moodboard featuring some of our favorite responsible brands, featuring winter- and layer-friendly staples that will keep you cozy this season. Use this guide to help you build your capsule from the clothes you already own, and if you do need new garments, consider shopping secondhand first! If you do shop new, these high-quality, responsibly made wardrobe staples will endure well past this season.
If you’re embarking on a capsule for the first time, or want to get inspired by the variety of capsule wardrobes people practice, learn more about what capsule wardrobes are here. For more tips on keeping a lean closet, read our guide to curating the perfect minimalist wardrobe.
Winter Capsule Wardrobe Pieces
1. Monty Turtleneck by Tradlands, $79 | XXS–5X, responsibly sourced & ethically made in family-owned factories
2. Jane Paris Rib Top by Amour Vert, $68 | XS–XL, made in the USA from Modal (beechwood fibers)
3. Thermal Waffle Top by Pact, $55 | XS–XXL, made using organic cotton in a Fair Trade factory
4. Irene Cardigan by ABLE, $95 | XXS–XXL, GOTS certified organic cotton, thoroughly vetted manufacturing partners
5. Reversible Satin Midi Skirt by Vetta, $128 | XS–XL, made in the USA from recycled polyester
6. Soft Wool Sweater by Lora Gene, £125 | S–8XL, certified B Corp, made-to-order, consciously sourced
7. High Rise Vintage Jean by DL1961, $209 | US 23–34, eco-friendly production practices, vertically integrated supply chain
8. Corduroy Trouser by Sotela, $199 | Sizes based on body measurements, tall & petite options available, organic cotton
9. Sabrina Pants by Loup, $176 | XXS–2X, designed & made in NYC
10. Eco Wool Cocoon Coat by Summersalt, $185 | XS–2X, made using GRS certified recycled wool, uses recycled packaging
11. Mesh Knit Scarf by Wol Hide, $150 | One size, made in a family-owned factory in Peru using sustainable alpaca fiber
12. Long Recycled Puffer by Girlfriend, $328 | XXS–6XL, made from recycled plastic water bottles
13. Organic Pearl Drop Earrings by AUrate, $200 | One size, organic AAA-grade pearl, hoop made from recycled gold
14. Mya Shoulder Bag by Pixie Mood, $80 | One size, made from PETA-certified recycled vegan leather & recycled plastic bottles
15. Slim Signet Ring by Mejuri, $185 | Sizes 3–10, made with fully traceable gold, prioritize responsible manufacturers
16. Trini Loafer by ZOU XOU, $280 | Sizes 36–42, handmade-to-order in Argentina using vegetable-tanned leather
17. Rode High Socks by Sézane, $35 | One size, made in an audited factory in France, recycled packaging
18. All Weather Boot by Nisolo, $250 | Sizes 5–11, fair labor standards, sustainable practices, 0 percent net carbon emissions
The Good Trade editors endorse products we genuinely love. If you end up making a purchase through one of our affiliate links, we may earn a commission. Learn more here.